Undoubtedly, how to choose the right college in the USA can be a daunting task, as there are more than 4000 colleges and universities in the country. This gives you an unparalleled choice of colleges ranging from small liberal arts colleges to large public research universities, specialized community colleges, and many others in between.
However, if you decide on a few factors that you look for in your college, you will get clarity and will be able to choose a college in the USA. Some of the factors that you should consider are:
Academics is an important factor, as you join a college to study. Hence, you should ask yourself the following questions related to academics & your study aspirations before finalizing on a college:
- What subjects are you interested in, and what programs relate to those subjects?
- Do you want to get work experience with your degree?
- What kind of research programs are available?
2. Location of the College:
Another important factor to consider while choosing your college is its location. Though location seems irrelevant but plays an important role in your university selection. Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you want to live at home while in college?
- How far is it from your home?
- What is the rent, transit costs, food cost, etc?
- Is it located in the heart of the city or suburbs?
3. College/University Campus:
Most of the time, students ignore the campus and the amenities it offers. While you are in college, you will be spending most of your time on campus. Thus, you should ask the following question while shortlisting a college:
- How many students live on campus?
- What is there to do on the weekends?
- Do you want an urban campus or a relaxed atmosphere?
- Are the students who go there enthusiastic and happy?
- How far are the dorms from the educational buildings?
4. Accommodation & food:
Finding a suitable accommodation is as important as selecting the right course or college. Most colleges have dormitories, but they are limited, and you are left with options like renting or sharing. Thus, when you zero down on the college, consider the questions related to accommodation & food like:
- Do you want to live on campus or off-campus?
- What are the services offered at dormitories?
- What are the meal plans & how diverse is the menu?
- What is the feedback of the current college residents?
Have you taken the GMAT before?
5. Financial Support:
College expenditure, your budget & finance options are a few things that college students should keep in mind. In light of that, a few questions that you should ask yourself include:
- How much is the tuition fee?
- How much will your family be contributing to your education?
- How can you get scholarships?
- What internships & co-ops can you opt for when you are in college?
- Are part-time jobs allowed on campus?
6. Majors, Minors & Credits:
Every college has a different curriculum, so you must consider what you want to get out of the next four years. Thus, finding out which majors, minors & concentrations are offered, at each college you are considering, is important. Other questions that you could ask yourself are:
- Are you hoping that every class will be specific to one discipline?
- What subjects are offered at the college?
- What is the level of credits required to qualify for your degree?
- Which minor subjects are available?
7. Success in Career:
One thing that you cannot ignore is how a university/college can prepare you for the future. Thus, when you are shortlisting your college, ask yourself these questions:
What services will the college offer to help you polish your resume, improve your interview skills and find jobs?
- What sort of graduate & professional programs does the university offer?
- How your college helps you in finding internships?
- How is your university helping you prepare for careers like medicine, law, and similar?
Have you taken the GMAT before?
Once you get answers to all these questions, you will be able to narrow down your list of suitable colleges & make a final choice. Still, if you find yourself in dilemma and need help in choosing the right college in the USA, speak to our admissions experts at Jamboree. Over the years, they have helped thousands of students reach their dream college. You can also get answers to all your questions. Visit your nearest Jamboree center or schedule a zoom call today.