The British Council has announced the second cohort of scholarships for women in STEM for 2022. The first global cohort in the 2021 autumn session saw an enrollment of a total 119 scholars out of which 19 were Indian women candidates. The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. Let us answer all the questions related to British Council scholarships for women in STEM.
IN THIS BLOG:
Through its scholarships for women in STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths), the British Council supports women who want to pursue a career in any of the STEM fields. Out of over the 100 British Council scholarships for women in STEM, 65 are reserved for women STEM scholars from India and other South Asian countries. The scholarships are awarded on merit basis and have no country-specific cap.
Why the British Council scholarships?
The world is pushing for global education opportunities for women. Over the world, the female students’ enrolment rate is low particularly in fields such as information and communications technology at 3%; natural science, statistics and mathematics at 5%; construction and manufacturing at 8%. Data from UNESCO reveals that women researchers are less than 30% of the researchers globally. Moreover, only 30% of female students opt for STEM-related fields for their higher education. The British Council scholarships for women in STEM aim to create increased opportunities for females in STEM-related fields of higher education.
Have you taken the GMAT before?
What will the British Council scholarships cover?
Indian scholars selected under the British council scholarships for women in STEM will have the option to obtain a master’s degree or an Early Academic Fellowship across 13 leading UK universities. The scholars can choose from courses like Engineering, Information Technology, Data Science, Public Health Systems, Environmental Science, Renewable Energy and Energy Management and Project Management. Additionally, the scholarship will cover tuition fees, travel costs, monthly stipend, visa and health coverage fees and special support for mothers.
Eligibility for the British Council scholarships
To be eligible for the British Council scholarships for women in STEM, the candidate has to meet the following requirements–
- Is a woman or identifies as a woman.
- Holds a passport or is a permanent resident of one of the countries listed on the website of the British Council Scholarship for Women in STEM.
- Meet English Language requirements as per the UK university partner.
- Meet the undergraduate degree requirements to be eligible for a postgraduate programme at the UK university partner.
- Has not lived recently in the UK or studied at degree level or higher in the country.
- Demonstrate the need for financial support via a means-test conducted by the UK university partner.
- Prior to submitting an application for a British Council Scholarship for Women in STEM, the candidate must have applied to a postgraduate programme at one of the UK university partners.
- After their British Council scholarship award has concluded, the scholars have to return to their country of citizenship for a minimum period of two years.
Additionally, the candidate must show the following in their application for the British Council scholarships for women in STEM–
- Demonstrate interest in their choice of programme through their work experience or statement of purpose.
- Demonstrate their interest in capacity-building and socio-economic advancement after concluding their programme from the UK university partner and returning to their country of citizenship.
- Demonstrate a passion to include other females from their home country in fields of STEM.
- As a condition for applying to the British Council scholarships for women in STEM, candidates have to agree to share their personal data with the British Council.
Have you taken the GMAT before?
Applying to the British Council scholarships
For applying to the British Council scholarships for women in STEM, candidates must apply directly to the participating universities. The deadlines for applications vary based on the courses but range from 28 February to 10 April. It is advisable to carefully check the application deadlines before applying.
Begin your college applications with Jamboree where we help thousands of students every year get into their dream university. Book a free fifteen-minute session with our counsellor and get started with your education journey abroad.