To study in the land of the kangaroos or the land down under, is a dream for many international students. Top ranked universities, adventurous and friendly people, pristine beaches and amazing nightlife in student cities, are some of the factors that attract many folks to study in Australia.
India is the second largest contributor of students to Australia, next to China. Indian students not only pursue the typical 4-year undergrad programs or the 2-year Masters courses including MBA, but also opt for vocational studies in Australia. IELTS is normally required by universities and colleges but in some cases yes, it is possible to study in Australia without IELTS. Before we go into details of eligibility and IELTS requirement, let’s take a quick detour to find out why Australia?
IN THIS BLOG:
1. Why do Indian students prefer studying in Australia?
2. How to study in Australia without IELTS?
3. Admission process & other essential details
4. Documents required for Student Visa
5. 9 Australian Universities to apply without IELTS score
Why do Indian students prefer studying in Australia?
Australia is the 4th most preferred study destination of Indians, after the USA, Canada and the UK. From engineering and sciences to banking and finance, and even off beat courses like baking and forestry, students are exploring and opting courses in line with their interests. Australia offers you:
- Top ranked colleges & universities
- Globally accepted curriculum
- Well recognized and respected degree
- Reasonable cost of living
- On-campus diversity
- Top-notch technology
- Better work environment
- Spell binding tourism & biodiversity spots
How to study in Australia without IELTS?
As we’ve mentioned before: yes, you can study at some of the best universities and colleges in Australia without IELTS, but that comes with some attached conditions. So let’s find out what these conditions are and get some clarity…
The first thing that one should have are the specific certificates recognized by the Australian Education System. If you have one of those certificates, you can study in Australian colleges and universities without IELTS.
- If a candidate completes their senior secondary education from the list of recognized countries and has English as their medium of study, then they’re good to go!
- If a candidate can present their AISSCE certificate issued by CBSE with 65% and above then, they’re good to go!
- If a candidate has completed International Baccalaureate programme, they are good to go!
- UG & PG students who have passed out from a recognized college or university where English was the medium of instruction, then you’re good to go!
- If a candidate has evidence of honing English skills learnt in a full time or a part-time professional job for a minimum of 5 years, they can also study in Australia without an IELTS score.
- Many universities, like the University of Melbourne, offer pathway programmes wherein language communication classes are included. If you undertake these programs, you don’t need to take the IELTS.
Admission process & other essential details
The admission process begins with your research for your desired course in your target Australian college or university. Once you or your counselor have shortlisted the universities, you can apply online to each university through their application portal. You will need to choose a course and explore all details related to it including what you will study, whether you are eligible, what are the potential career paths and application deadlines. You also will need to check if you have some related study or work experience that could give you credits and enable you to skip courses and graduate sooner.
If you want apply for scholarships, you will need to explore these and fill a separate form. Remember, scholarship application deadlines are usually much earlier. As your counselor or follow up with the admissions office on how to apply for scholarships. Once you submit your application, you will receive a conditional/non-conditional offer email. The email will have instructions on how to accept the offer.
Some universities may require you to appear for Skype or video interview before extending an offer. This is to know you better and also to check your English proficiency. You must clear this video interview to secure admission to Australian universities and colleges without IELTS.
Documents required for Student Visa
- Valid passport
- 2 passport size photographs
- Overseas Health Insurance Receipt
- COE a.k.a. Confirmation of Enrolment form
- Proof of Accommodation
- Proof of Monetary Funds
- Academic Transcripts
- Your CV
9 Australian Universities to apply without IELTS score
We have compiled a list of all Australian universities and colleges that give admission to international students into their academic courses without any IELTS score requirement. Take a look!
- Bond University
- Macquarie University
- University of Adelaide
- University of Queensland
- University of South Australia
- University of New South Wales
- University of Southern Queensland
- Swinburne University of Technology
- Australian National University
Just make sure to check with the university admissions office and clarify the details as the eligibility requirements often vary with time and even for different programs.
If you want to study in Australia, we have partnerships with 60+ universities. We can help you get scholarships, on-spot profile evaluation with university admission officials, and even application fee waivers. All you have to do is to reach out to us for a 15 minute free counseling session!