Canada has a lot to be proud of with top-ranked universities, high quality of life, easy visa & PR norms, and excellent post-education job opportunities, the answer as to why Canada is India’s personal favourite is a no-brainer.
Full-time graduates in Canada can easily apply for a work permit that allows them to stay and gain work experience for a period of up to 3 years which is honestly more than most countries. And in this blog, we are going to talk about the requirements for a Canadian student visa for Indian students. Shall we?
First things first, instead of a Student Visa, applicants need to apply for a Study Permit which serves as a Student visa in Canada along with a Temporary Resident Visa. A Study Permit in Canada will only enable you to study at one of Canada’s numerous recognised universities. Furthermore, you may need to apply for a Visitor Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization, so a good rule of thumb would be to check the Canadian Government’s official website for any updates.
IN THIS BLOG:
1. Eligibility for a Study Permit in Canada
2. Documents Required for Indian Students to Study in Canada
3. Time and Cost to Obtain a Student Visa for Canada
4. The Application Process for a Canada Visa for Indians
Eligibility for a Study Permit in Canada
You can only apply for a Canadian study permit or visa if you meet the following requirements:
- You must be a student at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
- You have to demonstrate that you have the means to cover your tuition, living expenses in Canada for yourself and family members (if they accompany you), and return tickets (repatriation).
- No criminal history, and a police certificate (if applicable) reinstating the same.
- You must be in good health and get a medical exam.
- Prove to an official that after your study permit expires, you will return to your native country.
Documents Required for Indian Students to Study in Canada
You can apply for a student permit through the Student Direct Stream to get your visa faster. Given below is the list of documents required for a study permit in Canada:
- A letter of acceptance from a recognised learning institution of post-secondary learning.
- Proof of Identity such as a valid passport.
- Proof of financial support such as proof of paid tuition and housing fees for the first year (CAN$10,000 per year excluding tuition) or Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC), etc.
- Academic transcripts of recent secondary or post-secondary qualifications.
- Recent medical certificate from a medical examination (if needed).
- Before applying, you must have a police certificate (if needed).
- The Ministry of Immigration, Diversity, and Inclusion issued ‘Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ)‘ (if you are planning to study in Quebec).
Time and Cost to Obtain a Student Visa for Canada
In general, study permit applications submitted in India take seven weeks to process, (according to the most recent update on processing timelines), but those that apply through the Student Direct Stream will have a shorter wait time.
Keep in mind that March to June is the busiest time of the year, so it’s best to apply early to receive a response within the appropriate period. Applications for study permits received after August 15 for programs commencing in September will not generally be processed in time and will most likely be denied outright. And a study permit presently costs CA$150, which is around 8,800 rupees a plus administrative fees.
Have you taken the GMAT before?
The Application Process for a Canada Visa for Indians
Given below is a step-by-step guide to applying for and acquiring a Canada student visa for Indians.
- Use the Student Direct Stream to apply for your study permit
Submit your application online, ensuring that you meet the eligibility criteria, and have all relevant documents required for your application including the application fee.
- Biometrics (Fingerprints and Photo)
The visa authority performs biometrics, i.e., takes the candidate’s fingerprints and pictures. This must be done as soon as you receive the letter from the visa authorities and no later than 30 days from the date of the notice. After that, you must pay the biometrics charge. If you are already in Canada at the time of application, you must return to your home country to complete your visa application.
- Application Handling
Candidates must wait at least 20 days or more while the authorities process their applications at this stage of applying for a Canada visa for Indian students.
The authorities will notify you of their decision after carefully considering your application. If your visa application is approved, you will be given a letter of introduction (not a study permit), an eTA, or a guest visa, depending on your needs.
- Pack your bags for Canada
You can leave for Canada with your travel papers after your application has been granted. Your documentation will be scrutinised and validated, and you will be able to enter Canada once the officer prints your study permission at the port of entry.
If you have more questions on how to get a Canada visa for Indian students, connect with our counsellors for a free 15-minute session to get all your doubts resolved.