Can you even prepare for IELTS at home? Well, with the right resources, consistency, and a solid plan of action, you might just have a good chance of acing IELTS on your own. So, in this blog, we will answer a series of HOW-TOs, starting with your favorite one – ‘How to prepare for IELTS at home?’ Let’s go!
IN THIS BLOG:
1. How to prepare for IELTS at home?
2. How to prepare for IELTS at home using a Study Plan?
3. Expert Tips on how to prepare for IELTS at home
How to Prepare for IELTS at Home?
The best answer to the most sought-after question of how to prepare for IELTS at home usually depends on the number of days left for the exam. Typically, your IELTS test prep can take between 1.5-3 months or more, depending on your current English language proficiency. Start your test prep by familiarizing yourself with the test pattern. Nothing can tell you more about the exam than a mock test. So, kickstart your test prep with an IELTS mock test and frame a strategy based on your score, syllabus, and the time left for the test.
How to Prepare for IELTS at Home Using a Study Plan?
You are not taking on a battle without a plan, are you? Preparing for any test needs a strategy, especially when preparing for IELTS at home. That brings us to our next question: How to prepare for IELTS at home using a Study Plan?
‘Study Plan’ is a one-word answer to ‘how to prepare for IELTS at home.’ It works as a clear plan of action that you can use before you kick start your IELTS preparation. It helps you understand the milestones you must hit every week during your preparation journey and sets you off on the right track. As a template, our experts have designed a tried and tested IELTS study plan, which can act as a blueprint of what your week-to-week preparation should look like.
Below is a printable PDF plan for six weeks where you are required to give a minimum of 1 hour every day. If you have three weeks before the test date, double the number of hours. Feel free to cram or relax the flow of tasks based on the number of days you have before the test.
FREE IELTS Study Plan
Have you taken the IELTS before?
The status column of the plan needs to be checked off every time you finish a task. Also, 5 is the minimum number of IELTS practice tests you should ideally take. You can increase this number as per your test prep, but make sure to space these mock tests to give yourself time to prepare and analyze the results to identify and rework problematic question types.
Expert Tips on How to Prepare for IELTS at Home?
Here are some actionable tips on ‘how to prepare for IELTS at home’ –
- Read a lot of books, journals, magazines, and newspapers.
- Learn to read long texts fast and the art of skimming and scanning.
- Consume content where you get to listen to native.
- Practice writing essays on different topics of around 300 words (When you do this regularly, your writing significantly improves).
- Learn to analyze and write based on charts, tables, or diagrams from practice questions and mock tests.
- Practice speaking English on familiar topics, voice modulation, and clarity.
- Analyze your test results and pinpoint why some of your answers were incorrect. Being mindful of this would help you sidestep similar pitfalls in the future.
- Speak 15-minutes every day to improve your fluency, coherence, and pronunciation.
- Watch TV and listen to audiobooks, podcasts, and news in English to get comfortable with different native accents.
- Read IELTS-style articles and take notes of new vocabulary. We suggest articles from BBC Science, The Guardian Science, and The Science Magazine. For IELTS General, try newspaper articles, instruction manuals, and job descriptions.
- Research your essays and start with the most typical IELTS Writing Topics. Pay attention to the well-written articles you spot on the internet, learn topic-specific words and phrases from articles and incorporate them when necessary.
What is a good IELTS Score?
Have you taken the IELTS before?
Choosing the right resources to study for IELTS is the trickiest part. If you don’t have a lot of time or need a sure-shot way to score a good IELTS band, you can join Jamboree’s specialized classroom training or the online coaching class to help you with everything from the suitable study materials to expertly crafted practice tests, and more. Connect with our counselors here.
Leave a Reply