Understanding what it takes and working towards it is the first step towards success and TOEFL is no exception. Studying the exam before studying for the exam will give the sense of direction you need to start your TOEFL test prep.
There are questions and assignments for each of the four TOEFL sections. Some of these questions and exercises may be unfamiliar to you, therefore it is critical to first practice and get acquainted with the types of questions in the exam.
The topics covered and the questions to be answered change on a regular basis, but the framework of the TOEFL remains constant. The format of the test is consistent! As a result, knowing the following details becomes crucial.
IN THIS BLOG:
TOEFL’s Four Major Sections
The Reading section (52-72 minutes long) examines your ability to comprehend and interpret written texts on topics such as science and academic debate.
The Listening section (41-57 minutes in length) ensures that you can understand the information presented to you orally, such as when you listen to a lecture or chat with a professor at university. This segment consists of four to six lectures and questions designed to assess your comprehension of the topic as well as your understanding of the motivations and emotions of the presenters.
The Speaking section (17 minutes) consists of six exercises that you complete by speaking into a microphone during the test. It is designed to assess your ability to articulate your thoughts and ideas in English.
Finally, the Writing section (50 minutes) is all about demonstrating how you can express yourself in English through writing. Here, you will use your grammar and vocabulary expertise to construct clear sentences and paragraphs.
Each section has a maximum score of 30, hence the total TOEFL score is 120. This means that a perfect score is 120. Now here are some exam day pointers we would like you to be aware of:
- You are permitted to take notes during the exam. You will be given a pencil and lots of scratch paper to use during the Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing sessions. When you finish the test and leave, you must return any notes and unused paper to the exam authorities.
- You are welcome to bring snacks or a drink to enjoy during the 10-minute break.
- If you need to use the restroom or take another short break throughout the exam, you may do so… However, you will not be able to stop the test clock!
- Naturally, no cell phones, iPads, or other electronic devices will be admitted into the room under any circumstances. You are also not permitted to use them during the official break.
TOEFL Test Strategies
TOEFL is a relatively basic exam, yet it can be intimidating at times. If you are unfamiliar with its structure, even your solid grasp of English will not help you pass it flawlessly, therefore you will need good TOEFL preparation. Work out the answers to test questions and repeat the activities that you do not recognize. The best method to do this is to use specialized textbooks and practice mocks that will assist you in preparing for the exam.
Attempt to complete the assignments and questions within a time limit while studying for the TOEFL. Replicate the real exam testing experience, for example, use headphones during the Listening Comprehension exercises and keep track of the remaining time and the number of completed questions in each section. Before taking the real exam, familiarize yourself with the types of questions and explanations for each section of the test.
Determine how much time you can devote to each question and correctly calculate the overall time. Take note of the number of questions and the amount of time given at the start of each segment. Don’t spend too much time on one question. Keep in mind that the time allotted to answer each question in the Listening Comprehension section is limited. Try to answer all of the questions as there is no negative marking for questions you don’t get right.
Practice listening to audio recordings at once without missing out on any vital details. Stay very alert as you cannot pause, replay or rewind the audio track on the real test. After listening to the question, try to answer it without looking at the answer options. Then look over the possibilities and choose the one that fits better than the rest.
Written Expression and Structure
If you don’t know the answer, it is best to approach the question through the method of elimination that is, by eliminating the obvious wrong answers one by one from the variants and choosing the one that seems right to you from the possibilities that remain.
Read through each passage before answering the question. If the passage is too long it might help to scan the questions first before reading the passage. You can change your answer later, so you can skip questions and come back to them later.
Allocate your time wisely: it is advised to answer all questions in one paragraph before moving on to the next. If you are unsure of the answer, eliminate the obvious erroneous variation from the possibilities and choose from the remaining answers.
How can I get prepared?
Prepare for success by using the following official resources:
- The Official Guide to the TOEFL iBT Test: The best-selling, all-in-one reference, including four complete practice tests and skill-building tips.
- The Insider’s Guide to TOEFL iBT Test Preparation: A free, self-paced 6-week course to help you improve your skills, discover tips and methods, and interact with other students.
- TOEFL iBT Free Practice Test: Practice real-world test questions from all four areas.
- TOEFL iBT Practice Online: This service simulates the genuine TOEFL iBT test experience, and you will receive scores and feedback on all four skills within 24 hours.
- TOEFL iBT Audio Tests: Practice with 5 authentic past tests and all audio portions.
- Go, TOEFL! Official App: Practice tests, tips and tricks, and much more
The TOEFL Exam is an excellent approach to demonstrate your command of the English language and your readiness for academic settings. Many universities and agencies recognize TOEFL scores, providing students with a plethora of choices. However, before registering for the TOEFL, make sure to examine the exam requirements and cutoff scores established by the schools or authorities.
Have questions about TOEFL preparation or admissions? We can help! Connect with our counsellors for a free 15-minute consultation session to get all your questions resolved.