With over 30,000 Indian students migrating to join UK universities during last year, 2022 seems poised for another surge. Home to some of the most coveted premium institutions that compete on the global college ranking surveys, UK is an ideal hub for medical aspirants in India who want to pursue a 5–6-year full-time MBBS program.
State-of-the-art medical technology, reputed research programs, world-renowned faculty and professional training ensure a high-quality learning experience. As a result, setting foot into medical schools in the UK has become the defining path to secure careers as doctors and surgeons for many students across the globe. With an open and warm atmosphere that embraces students from different cultures and backgrounds in an equal spirit, universities offering MBBS in the UK ensure this to be a steadfast guarantee for thousands of medical aspirants stepping into its terrains at all times.
IN THIS BLOG:
1. Why study MBBS in the UK?
2. What are the eligibility criteria for Indian students to study MBBS in the UK?
3. How to Apply for MBBS in the UK?
4. What are the scholarships available for MBBS in the UK?
5. What do you need to get a scholarship for MBBS in the UK?
Why study MBBS in the UK?
Rankings should not be the only reason why you pick a place or university for MBBS but it certainly helps to narrow down your choices. According to QS World University Rankings 2021, 15 UK universities rank in the top 100 best medical schools worldwide and four of them rank in the world’s top 10.
The United Kingdom is also the only country with the highest number of Nobel Prizes for medicine in the world after the US.
2. World-leading Medical Education
Med schools in the UK provide access to premium facilities, expert staff, and equipment that ensure a hands-on practical and theoretical understanding of medical education. Some medical colleges in UK also incorporate patient contact from as early as the first year and from the third year onwards students are assigned their own patients during clinical placements. This increases opportunities for receiving adequate expertise and exposure to quality research programs.
3. Job Avenues after MBBS in the UK
MBBS in the UK is the gateway for excellent career prospects and lucrative earnings from medical practice compared to obtaining an MBBS from elsewhere. Students who pursue MBBS in the UK enjoy competitive pay that increases with each advancing year. Consultants in the UK earn between £60,000 to over £100,000 while salaried General Practitioners earn from around £55,000 to more than £80,000.
4. FMGE relaxation post MBBS from the UK
Indian students pursuing MBBS in the UK can immediately establish their medical practice in any part of India without the extra hassle of undertaking Foreign Medical Graduate Examinations. It is because all medical hospitals in India are MCI approved.
What are the eligibility criteria for Indian students to study MBBS in the UK?
Given below is the list of eligibility criteria for Indian students who wish to study MBBS in the UK:
- If you are applying for MBBS in the UK, meeting the minimum age bar of 18 years is necessary.
- IELTS score of 6.5 to 7 for students from non-European countries like India.
- A score of 80 percent and beyond in class 10+2.
- An average UKCAT score of 650. One needs to score around 50 percentile in NEET to be considered an MBBS applicant in any medical school in the UK.
- GAMSAT score of 60-66 and an average score of around 5-5.0 in BMAT are mandatory.
How to Apply for MBBS in the UK?
Among 34 medical schools recognized by General Medical Council in the UK, list the universities you want to apply to according to ranking and preferences.
Here is a checklist of the documents you will need to apply for MBBS in any medical school across the UK. Note that all these documents need to be verified by the authorities concerned.
- Attested mark sheet of 10+2 with their copies.
- Copies of all your test scores like BMAT, UKCAT, and IELTS.
- IELTS/TOEFL/C1 Advanced certificate as proof of your English proficiency.
- Reference Letter
- Statement Of Purpose (SOP)
- Copy of your passport
- A well-written cover letter about why you want to pursue your MBBS in the UK
- Proof of financial ability like family bank statements, documentation from a sponsor, financial aid letters, and so on.
Regardless of how many universities you apply to, all the applications are done through the UCAS portal. First, complete all the formalities required for the application forms and submit them once you sign up and register yourself on the UCAS website.
Once you have sent your application form and documents to prospective medical schools, you can sit back and wait for the concerned college admission authorities to assess them. If your application form gets shortlisted by any university, you will receive a confirmation and invitation letter.
What are the scholarships available for MBBS in the UK?
At times, a student might have all it takes to give wings to their MBBS dreams in the UK – having good academic performance, meeting the academic test scores cut-off through and through, or exhibiting an excellent record of co-curricular achievements. But limited financial resources could still pose a devastating blow to their vast and lofty medical school dreams in the UK.
If you are looking for scholarships that fit your medical study expenses in the UK, here are some that you could consider:
- Rhodes Scholarship: £15,141
- Hulk York Medical School International Scholarship: £ 8,737
- Chevening Scholarship: £18,000
- Imperial College Faculty of Medicine Scholarship: £1,000
What do you need to get a scholarship for MBBS in the UK?
Here is a list of documents you need to keep handy while applying for a scholarship in the UK:
- Copies of your academic records
- A Letter of Intent (LOI)
- IELTS/TOEFL score certificates
- Letters of Reference concerning your academic or extra-curricular achievements.
Student scholarships for MBBS in the UK are there to ensure that no deserving applicants step back from their dreams and goals due to financial constraints. You should be on the lookout for government and private scholarships and their respective deadlines.
If you want to study MBBS in the UK, connect with our counselors for a 15 minute free guidance session. They will delineate your personalized MBBS career path, target UCAT score and universities, fees and scholarships and give you complete information about pursuing a medical degree in UK and other countries. Call us now!
Leave a Reply