Mastering the GMAT Verbal section is your golden ticket to B-School success! With 7 out of 10 candidates flaunting their GMAT scores, it’s your time to shine in the world of graduate management education. B-Schools love applicants who take the GMAT seriously – it’s like waving a flag saying, “I’m all in for that business degree!” So, buckle up for a one-month GMAT Verbal prep journey, where we spill the beans on acing the GMAT Verbal section with top scores. Get ready to stand out, show your commitment, and own the GMAT like a boss!
- 1.0 Introduction
- 2.0 Understanding the GMAT Verbal Section (Focus Edition)
- 3.0 Mastering GMAT Verbal in 30 days: A Comprehensive Guide
- 4.0 Seek Professional Assistance
2.0 Understanding the GMAT Verbal Section (Focus Edition)
The GMAT verbal section in the GMAT Focus Edition consists of multiple-choice questions designed to assess your proficiency in reasoning, understanding written content, and evaluating arguments. While the section features passages on various topics, NO prior knowledge on these topics is required to ace the section.
|GMAT Focus Edition (Score: 205-805)
| Critical Reasoning
Suggested Reading: GMAT Focus Edition Exam Pattern – Syllabus and Scoring
2.1 Breakdown of the GMAT Verbal Section in the Focus Edition
In the GMAT Verbal section, you will encounter 23 questions to be tackled within a 45-minute timeframe. The questions are broadly divided into two sub-categories:
- Critical Reasoning
- Reading Comprehension
2.1.1 Critical Reasoning: Analyzing and Evaluating Arguments
Out of the 23 questions in the GMAT Verbal section, approximately 11-12 questions belong to the Critical Reasoning category. Critical reasoning demands logical analysis and evaluation of arguments, situations, or plans presented in small passages (approx. 100 words).
To excel in this section, focus on the following strategies:
- Carefully read and analyze the passage.
- Identify the conclusion and supporting evidence.
- Evaluate the logical structure of the argument.
- Utilize the process of elimination to eliminate incorrect answer choices.
- Practice critical thinking exercises to enhance reasoning skills.
2.1.2 Reading Comprehension: Mastering Information and Concepts
Out of the 23 questions in the GMAT Verbal section, approximately 10-11 questions belong to the Reading Comprehension category. The Reading Comprehension Passages range from 200-350 words in length and comprise 3-4 questions per passage.
Enhance your performance in Reading Comprehension through the following strategies:
- Develop effective reading strategies, such as skimming and scanning.
- Identify the main idea and supporting details of the passage.
- Understand the organization and structure of the passage.
- Practice active reading to engage with the content effectively.
- Improve your critical reading skills through regular practice.
2.2 GMAT Verbal Section Scoring: Focus Edition
Your GMAT Verbal score, ranging from 60 to 90, is calculated based on three factors: the number of questions you answer, whether they are correct or not, and the difficulty of the questions attempted. This method provides a well-rounded assessment of your performance in the GMAT Verbal section. For instance, a score of 85 on the GMAT Verbal section translates into a 96th percentile ranking, but a score above 82 is considered sufficiently competitive. Your GMAT Verbal score contributes one-third to your overall GMAT Score of 205-805.
Suggested Reading: How to balance GMAT prep and B-school applications?
3.0 Mastering GMAT Verbal in 30 days: A Comprehensive Guide
In just 30 days, you can strategically hone your skills and boost your confidence. Let’s break down your month-long plan for success.
3.1 Week 1: Setting the Foundation
- Start with a free diagnostic test to understand the GMAT Verbal section’s structure and set your baseline score.
- Define your target score and identify your strengths and weaknesses as seen from the practice test.
- Create a customized study plan based on your daily routine. If you’re a beginner, commit 2-3 hours daily to verbal preparation.
- Gather essential study materials, including the GMAT Official study material and Jamboree Test Series for comprehensive practice sets. You can begin with the Free Starter Kit offered by GMAC.
3.2 Week 2: Practice & Assess
- Focus on extensive practice for both Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension.
- Review incorrect answers thoroughly, understand underlying concepts, and identify patterns in mistakes.
- Create notes and flashcards for quick reference in the final days.
- Cap off the week with another practice test to assess your progress.
Suggested Reading: Unlock top-notch GMAT preparation with our curated selection of the best books and resources
3.3 Week 3: Refine, Simulate, and Grow
- Continue practicing questions, emphasizing simulated exam conditions for time management skills.
- Start taking timed practice tests to build endurance for the GMAT Verbal section.
- Before diving into full-length tests, practice taking ONLY verbal sections (23 questions in 45 minutes)
- Identify the questions that consumed more of your time and those you completed swiftly. Maintain a record of your pacing for effective self-assessment.
- Continue examining explanations for both correct and incorrect answers, ensuring a comprehensive study of your responses.
3.4 Week 4: Test Simulation & Final Test
- Shift to full-length tests, dedicating time to review mistakes and identify any persistent patterns.
- Revisit notes, challenging questions, and key concepts.
- The last day is for rest and relaxation. Avoid over-stressing and opt for light revision of core concepts to ensure you enter the examination with a clear and focused mind.
- Prepare for your exam day by revisiting your pre-test checklist, paying special attention to the essentials required for your appointment, whether it’s at a test center or online.
Watch: How, Imisha Debuka, an Investment Banker, talks about how she scored 750+ on GMAT with @JamboreeEducation
4.0 Seek Professional Assistance
Embark on your GMAT journey with Jamboree’s specialized preparation course, where personalized excellence awaits. Our seasoned faculty and adept admission consultants bring over three decades of experience to the table, ensuring you receive tailored insights, strategies, and constructive feedback designed to address your unique needs.
Jamboree’s Self-Paced Module allows you to have access to numerous topicwise, sectional and full-length tests, along with 5 hours of scheduled doubt sessions with expert faculty.
Elevate your GMAT preparation with personalized guidance! Let our experienced faculty assess your strengths and weaknesses, refining your study plan for success. Book a free demo session today and embark on a tailored journey towards your GMAT goals!
Turn your MBA dreams into reality! Leverage over 30 years of expertise with a complimentary profile assessment.