The United States is a greatly preferred study abroad destination for Indian students. According to US Open Doors Report 2021, 167,582 Indian students were currently enrolled at US universities. At 18.3% of total international students in US universities, this number is expected to grow fast in the next few years. If you are an engineering student and wish to continue your higher education in top universities of the US, this article is a must-read.
Masters in Engineering Management or MEM, as it is popularly called, is a one or two years’ postgraduate program that aims to help you develop managerial and leadership skills while deepening your understanding of conventional and new age technologies. The coursework entails a core curriculum in management followed by advanced technical electives that you can choose to propel their career forward. You will need to study subjects like Accounting Analysis, Engineering Management, Engineering Economics, Management Sciences, Quality Management, Product Management and Project Management. A top-of-the-league MEM would also require you to have minimum 5 years of work experience.
IN THIS BLOG:
1. What is the eligibility to apply to MEM courses?
2. What is the admission procedure to get into MEM courses in the US?
3. What is the cost of pursuing MEM in US universities?
4. Are there any MEM scholarships available?
5. Top 25 universities to pursue MEM in USA
6. Do I need a GMAT/GRE score to apply for MEM programs?
7. What are the job prospects after completing MEM in USA?
What is the eligibility to apply to MEM courses?
Although different universities have different eligibility criteria, some requirements are common to all universities offering MEM courses. Most MEM courses would require you to have:
– A four year bachelor’s degree in engineering or equivalent degree in sciences with GPA of 3 or above
– Valid GMAT or GRE score (unless the university has adopted a test-optional policy due to COVID)
– IELTS score of minimum 6.5 or TOEFL score of minimum 80
– Work experience of at least 3 years in a technical role
What is the admission procedure to get into MEM courses in the US?
Most universities in the US need you to apply online for their MEM course. You will need to fill in your personal details in the online application form and scan and upload documents like your undergraduate degree certificates and marksheets, submit your latest resume, self-report your GMAT/GRE and TOEFL/IELTS scores, write 2 or 3 essays demonstrating your fitment and interest in the particular program and have your recommenders (manager at work or professor at college) send in the letters of recommendation before the application deadline.
Jamboree experts recommend that students start working on their application alongside their GMAT or GRE preparation. This gives students and our counsellors enough time to work on application essays which are crucial in determining the strength of the student’s candidature.
Have you taken the GMAT before?
What is the cost of pursuing MEM in US universities?
The cost of pursuing MEM in USA ranges from $21,328 to $83,547 per year. This estimate is just for tuition fees, students can expect to incur additional living expenses ranging from $16,000 to $40,000 per year depending upon the state and area they would be staying in.
Are there any MEM scholarships available?
While MEM fees can look prohibitive enough to make you drop your plans, the great news is that there are plenty of MEM scholarships offered by universities in the US. Some of them are:
- Fullbright Nehru Scholarship
- Global Study Awards
- BrokerFish International Student Scholarship
- Knight Scholarship (Cornell University)
- Master of Engineering Committee Scholarship (Cornell University)
- Albert H Rubenstein Memorial Scholarships (Northwestern University)
Top 25 universities to pursue MEM in USA
Our top admission experts have compiled a list of best universities offering Masters of Engineering Management in the US. Take a look!
- Cornell University
- Northwestern University
- Stanford University
- Purdue University
- Dartmouth College
- University of Michigan – Ann Arbor
- University of Michigan-Dearborn
- University of Southern California (USC)
- Columbia University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant
- National University, San Diego
- The University of Texas at Dallas
- University of South Florida
- Clarkson University
- Colorado State University
- Drexel University
- University of Colorado Boulder
- San Jose State University
- Duke University
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago
- Montana State University
- Penn State University
- University of Kansas
Do I need a GMAT/GRE score to apply for MEM programs?
Yes, most programs would require you to submit your GRE or GMAT score at the time of application. A GRE score of above 310 or GMAT score of above 650 is sufficient to apply successfully to a good MEM program.
What are the job prospects after completing MEM in USA?
The genesis of MEM degree lies in the need to employ managers who are adept at handling a technical workforce. They should interpret and understand technical jargon and give solutions to workplace problems. As such MEM graduates are never short of opportunities and they have a competitive advantage over other non-technical managers. MEM graduates from top colleges can earn as much as $144,000 per year.
Have questions? Connect with our experienced study in USA specialists and get all your doubts resolved in a free 15 minute 1-1 information session.