In this blog:
- GRE Exam: Structure & Format
- GRE Exam: How is it scored?
- How to approach the GRE exam?
- How to prepare for the GRE exam?
GRE Exam: Structure & Format
The GRE General Test is made up of six sections: two Verbal Reasoning sections, two Quantitative Reasoning sections, one Analytical Writing section, and an optional essay.
|Number of Questions
(One section with two separately timed tasks)
|One “Analyze an Issue” task & one “Analyze an Argument” task
|30 minutes per task
|20 questions per section
|30 minutes per section
|20 questions per section
|35 minutes per section
|3 hours & 45 minutes
The first section of the test will always be the Analytical Writing section. However, the order of the Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, and unidentified/unscored sections can vary. Hence, it is crucial to approach each section as if it contributes to your overall score.
Here are some tips for understanding the structure and format of the GRE General Test:
- Read the ETS website carefully. The website contains a wealth of information about the GRE General Test, including the test format, scoring, and preparation materials.
- Take a practice test. Taking a practice test will give you a good idea of what to expect on the actual GRE General Test. It will also help you identify your strengths and weaknesses so that you can focus on the areas where you need the most help. Take a GRE diagnostic test here.
- Use a variety of preparation materials. There are many different GRE preparation materials available, including books, online courses, and practice tests. Find a variety of materials that work for you and use them to supplement your studies.
- Get help from a tutor or a GRE exam course. If you are struggling with a particular area of the GRE General Test, consider getting help from a tutor. A tutor can help you identify your weaknesses and develop a study plan to address them.
GRE Exam: How is it scored?
The GRE General Test is scored on a scale of 130 to 170, with 160 being the highest possible score. The Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning sections are each scored separately, and the Analytical Writing section is scored holistically. The optional essay is not scored.
How to approach the GRE exam?
The GRE General Test is a challenging test, but it is possible to do well if you prepare adequately. There are many resources available to help you prepare for the GRE General Test, including books, GRE online coaching, practice tests and GRE classroom training also.
If you are planning to take the GRE General Test, it is important to start preparing early. This will give you enough time to understand the material and practise your skills.
Also read: GRE Math questions with solutions
How to prepare for the GRE exam?
Discussed below are some additional tips for GRE exam preparation:
- Create a study schedule and stick to it – You should also make a GRE study plan and stick to it. Our experts have curated a 2-month GRE study plan which has helped our students ace the exam. You can download the GRE study plan here.
- Find a study partner or group –Studying with others can help you stay motivated and on track. You can also help each other learn new concepts and practice answering questions.
- Take practice tests – Taking practice tests is a great way to get a feel for the GRE General Test and identify your strengths and weaknesses. Use the practice tests to identify areas where you need more practice and focus your studies on those areas.
- Get plenty of rest and eat a healthy diet – The GRE General Test is a long test, so it is important to be well-rested and have a healthy diet on the day of the test. Get a good night’s sleep the night before the test and eat a healthy breakfast on the day of the test.
- Arrive early for the test – It is important to arrive early for the GRE General Test so that you have plenty of time to check in and find your seat. Arriving early will also help you avoid feeling rushed and stressed.
- Stay calm and focused during the test – The GRE General Test can be a stressful experience, but it is important to stay calm and focused during the test. Take deep breaths and relax your muscles if you start to feel stressed.
- Don’t give up – The GRE General Test is a challenging test, but it is possible to do well if you don’t give up. Keep working hard and don’t give up on your dreams.
Checkout: GRE exam dates 2023
Remember to stay motivated, set realistic goals, seek help when needed, and take advantage of available resources such as GRE prep courses, practice exams, demo classes and study materials. To get a firsthand experience of the best GRE exam prep, sign up for a free demo class today. We are committed to providing you with the support and guidance you need to excel on the GRE and take the next step in your academic journey.